You know how in every schoolyard movie there’s always one lurking misfit? The kid curtained by their own bangs, inking out poetry or mumbling to themselves as they watch the other kids hopscotch? Who finally comes out of their shell at like, prom or something, and reveals themselves to be relatively capable of normal human interaction? Well, in the blogging world, I am that late-blooming kid…though with better conditioned hair.
For the last few years, blogs have been such a big part of my life. As magazines’ cooler, more dynamic cousin, they’ve offered me an insight into the worlds of so many lovely ladies. I’ve followed Leandra of ManRepeller since before Abie fell prey to dem harem pants, Tavi of Style Rookie since she was practically a foetus, and Jo Goddard of Cup of Jo since she was just brewin’. I did not love when Mindy abandoned Things I’ve Bought That I Love, and did no likey when Winona Dimeo-Ediger forsook Daddy Likey. To say I was emotionally attached would be putting it mildly. But it was only recently that I took the Big Step of halting the lurking and starting to record my own musings.
Since gingerly climbing aboard the blogging moonbounce 1 month ago, I’ve come to realise just HOW much richer the community is when you engage with other bloggers (I know….derrrrr)
I’ve loved reading and commenting on Alexandra’s gorgeous blog Little Wild Heart. She captures a lot of what I feel about being a 20-something, and conveys such a zest for life and its beautiful moments. I am chuffed as a clam to have been nominated by her for the One Lovely Blog award.
The One Lovely Blog award rules are:
- Acknowledge the person who nominated you
- List 7 random facts about yourself
- Nominate other bloggers
- My natural facial expression has been likened to that of Daria, Margot Tenenbaum and Expressionless Emoji.
- I have watched every episode of the Office at least 4 times. Jim Halpert is my ideal man.
- I used to have perfect vision (and was constantly eagle-eyeing dollar dollar bills and coinage on the ground) but shot my eyes to hell reading by moonlight as a kid. I can now barely see more than a couple of paces in front of me.
- My favourite food is oatmeal. I could (and often do) eat it 3+ times a day. My personal mantra is “everything in moderation except porridge and oral hygiene”.
- At one stage I could recite Pi to 50 decimal places. I do have some friends, I promise.
- At High School I was voted ‘Most Likely to be Cloned’
- My favourite books are: the 5th Harry Potter (the fattest + substantial romantic intrigue), The History of Love, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Mrs Dalloway, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Bossypants, The Sun Also Rises…actually, this is a fool’s errand.
I nominate Caroline of Sparkles and Crumbs (who I have been avidly following for ages… her magical take on UK life got me excited about my move!) and Victoria of Vicstorya (after reading her hilarious piece for the first ManRepeller Writer’s Club, I promptly devoured her whole blog. You should too!)
And now, off to write an essay on whether we will ever be legally compelled to remove our dandruff from public places. Cheerio!